Monday, October 22, 2012

buffalo barley stew

A few weeks ago, I subscribed to an organic delivery service called door to door organics.  They take fresh produce from local farmers, put it in a box, and ship it right to your door.  I used to get this a few years ago, but then when we moved I didn't set it back up.  I am so glad that I subscribed again!

This time around they have a whole shop section, where you can buy farm fresh items other than produce.  When I saw the buffalo stew meat, I just had to get some.  If you've never had buffalo meat, it really isn't that much different than cow.  It has a bit of a stronger flavor, and because it is much leaner, it tends to be a little tougher.  I thought it would make for a great slow cooked, stewed deliciousness....

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I love soup.  It is so easy, fulling, nourishing, and just downright satisfying.  Of course, stew is the same; just chunkier, thicker broth, and a longer cook time.  And sooo good....

























buffalo barley stew

Obviously, if you don't have access to buffalo meat, you can just substitute regular ol' cow.
This recipe is actually just my beef barley stew, modified.  I love to serve it with some good, crusty bread and a great big salad.

2 tbs olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 lbs stewing meat, cut into cubes
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4 c. water
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery sticks, roughly chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
large pinch of dried thyme
large 1/4 c. pearl barley
4 c. beef stock
salt and pepper
chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in large heavy pot or dutch oven over medium high heat.  Sear the meat until well browned on all sides.  Add the garlic and water.  Give it a good stir, scraping up all of the brown bits in the pot.  Heat to boiling, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, for about an hour.  Skim off the foam as it rises to the top.

Add the vegetables, thyme, barley, and stock.  Simmer, partially covered, until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.  If the soup becomes too thick, add water.  Cut off the heat and season with salt and pepper.  Add the parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment