Sunday, June 10, 2012

dairy free cookie cups, again....


















Yeah yeah, I know.  It's probably not a very good idea to repeat recipes on here.  But I really just couldn't help myself.  We were going to a birthday party and I was making cupcakes for Ian so that he wouldn't be left out and I asked the kids which ones to make and these were the ones that they chose and they are just sooooo good and the picture just came out too great.  The end.

To see the earlier post, click here.  And I just now realized that I started this post exactly the same way as the original.  And I'm not changing it.  So I guess that makes me actively unoriginal.  Oh well......


Dairy free Cookie Cups

1 c. plus 2 tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt1 stick Earth Balance butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c. dairy free chocolate chips or baker's chocolate cut into chunks (I use Enjoy Life)

Preheat oven to 375
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  Mix well.
On medium speed, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until well mixed. 
On low speed, stir in the flour mixture until blended.  Add the chocolate chips and stir to integrate them into the batter.
Line a muffin tin with cups.  I used a small size cup for this recipe; perfectly bite sized.  (If you use a regular size cup, increase the cooking time by about 5-10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.)
Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Set the muffins on a cooling rack and be sure to let them cool before you add the frosting, or it will melt.

Cinnamon frosting

2 c. confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 tbs soy butter, softened
2 1/2 tbs soy milk
a few drops vanilla

In the bowl of an electric mixer, sift the sugar and the cinnamon.  Add the butter, and with the paddle attachment, mix at medium speed until the mixture forms a sort of ball.  You will want to drape a kitchen towel over the bowl of the mixer, that is, unless you want to stand in a cloud of sugar...  Once the ball forms, turn the speed to low, combine the soy milk and vanilla, and add to the sugar ball a couple of teaspoons at a time.  Make sure that the milk is incorporated before each addition.  Once all the milk is in, scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula, and turn the mixer up to full speed. Mix until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 5-10 minutes.  Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a tip, or simply a plastic bag, reinforcing one of the corners with tape.  Snip off the corner, and voila, instant pastry bag. Pipe away!

7 comments:

  1. i love cinnamon in the frosting..and also love the way you've done the frosting on the cupcake. Looks beautiful:)

    Nina
    http://thefoodielovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nina! I sincerely appreciate your comments and support!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Vegan mini cupcake, and so cute too, and great photo! I make a lot of dairy free treats too, I am not allergic, although I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and often I make vegan meals, especially if we had lots of dairy products in one meal I try to balance out in other: adults too should limit dairy products, and with me drinking caffellatte every morning, I guess that I end up alway with more than my fair share of it!!

    Anyway, I will follow you, and come and visit if you like, I run a few blogs but my main one is this one http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/, where I always put my recipes first. There is a vegan and gluten free dessert on today too!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will definitely follow you!! Thank you for sending me to your cookbook posts- they are so helpful! How wonderful to get an inside look at the process...

      Oh, and just for the record, the cupcakes are not vegan- there is one egg in there, but that could be easily switched out with an egg replacer or banana.. oooo banana chocolate chip cookies sound great.. I'll have to try that one!

      Thanks for your posts!!

      Delete
  4. PS
    on my blog there is also a series of posts on how to write (and publish) a cookbook, maybe you will enjoy reading them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gods yes. This is too delicious.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I have to say, yes. Yes, they are.......

      Delete