Friday, June 8, 2012

dairy free chocolate s'mores pudding


















Unsuccessfully successful food item part two.  Dairy free chocolate pudding with really old marshmallows.

I have been trying to put together a fun s'mores dessert.  When I found this recipe here, I had one of those moments where you get really miffed because someone else had come up with your idea.  My first thought when I saw the recipe was to pop the puddings under the broiler for a few minutes to toast those marshmallows.

Instantly, I got to work.  I knew we had marshmallows, but I couldn't find them.  I found a bag of pink heart marshmallows from valentine's day, but I wanted the white.  Standing on my tiptoes atop my kids' chair, my arm up to the armpit inside the cabinet, carefully trying to search the back of the cabinet without having to take anything out (I can be rather lazy at times), or knocking anything out (I can also be rather clumsy most of the time), I finally found the bag.  When I pulled it out though, I noticed that it wasn't squishy, like marshmallows usually are.  They felt a little stale (ok a lot stale), so I took one out, forked it, turned on the gas stove, and roasted it right there and then.  It roasted to a crispy, gooey, tender deliciousness. Perfect.

Since these were the large size, I decided to cut them down.  It was actually tougher than I thought.  The marshmallows were really rubbery....  Anyway, I managed to cut them, crumble the graham cracker on top, put the marshmallows in, broil the whole thing for a few minutes, and then snap some pictures in the waning evening light.  I really have to learn how to use that flash....

By the time I finished with the pictures, everyone was starting to get seriously mad at me for hijacking their dessert.  I realized that the marshmallows had cooled by that time, and I had considered reheating them, but the natives were starting to emit these low, guttural growling sounds, so that was that.  Here's your pudding, eat at your own risk.

To my surprise, the marshmallows were these light as air, smokey, carmel-ly crispy chips that just melted in your mouth.  I honestly didn't remember the last time I had enjoyed marshmallows that much.  Paired with the crunch of the graham cracker and the creamy chocolatey pudding, this dessert was pure delight.  Maybe I'll try it with fresh marshmallows one day....

dairy free chocolate s'mores pudding


3 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs water
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chips
2 graham crackers
5 regular marshmallows

serves 4

Combine the cornstarch and water and stir until dissolved.

In a saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips.  Add the milk, vanilla, and sugar and whisk until incorporated.  Increase the heat to medium, and continue to cook and stir until the mixture boils.  Cook until it starts to get thick (it will happen all at once, so you have to pay attention), and then continue for a couple of minutes more until it gets pudding-y.  Remove from the heat, spoon into bowls, and let cool for about 5 minutes.   It will continue to thicken as it sits.  Refrigerate until ready to eat.

After the pudding is cooled, crunch up the graham crackers and sprinkle on top.  Follow that with a sprinkling of mini marshmallows, or as in my case, large marshmallows cut into bits, and pop the bowls onto a baking sheet and under the broiler for a few minutes, or until the marshmallows get nice and brown and crispy.




6 comments:

  1. Do you ever make your own marshmallows? I recall a picture of oatmeal cookies stuffed with marshmallow fluff. I distinctly remember seeing them on facebook and thinking you were some sort of wizard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaaa oatmeal fluffs, yes. Wizard, no.. I have never made my own marshmallows, but that sounds...umm.... oops I just drooled. Why, yes. I shall make my own marshmallows. Fantastic idea.

      Delete
  2. Oh Marla, this sounds delicious. But, please, be careful climbing on them chairs . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes. We can't all be graceful as a ballerina, my dear ;) But I do my best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I've never heard of smores pudding...this is a great idea. I wud love to try this one:)

    Nina
    http://thefoodielovers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do try it out! Let me know how you like it..

      Delete