Sunday, September 8, 2013

an emerging epidemic...

If anyone has been wondering what this legislation is that I've been working for the last year, PLEASE watch this. The Discovery Channel and FARE (Food Allergy Research and Education) made a documentary called An Emerging Epidemic: Food Allergies in America.  It is on the Discovery Channel on Saturday, September 21 at 8am ET/PT. You can also watch it on the link I have provided.

When Ian was 2, he had a reaction in a restaurant and we stopped eating out. Three months later at a family wedding, however, we found that sometimes we couldn't avoid eating out. After a series of dealings with a caterer who had no idea how to handle allergies, I realized that something had to be done. I learned about the Massachusetts legislation, and I had heard that the Rhode Island legislation had been introduced, but it hadn't yet passed. I drafted a letter and my quest for legislation had begun.

One year later, I have a bill and a sponsor. We plan to introduce our bill in the next couple of weeks. To me, this bill is common sense and simply a means of education. Hopefully Michigan will feel that way too, and it will pass.

Again, please watch this. I guarantee that you have or will have someone important in your life with food allergies. A little education really does go a long way.


http://www.discoverychannelcme.com/patient-education/food-allergies



2 comments:

  1. Marla, congrats on the progress you've been making in Michigan! I watched this documentary over the weekend. Pretty powerful stuff. Glad that it had a positive message, despite all the scary statistics. Keep up the good work. Look forward to hearing that your bill has become law! -Heddi

    ReplyDelete